- Hall Rental
- Member Links
Cranston Heights Fire Company does our part to prevent fires and save lives with our fire prevention division. Throughout the whole year we participate in many activities including on fire prevention week visiting our 3 local elementary schools and put on a presentation and let the students view our equipment While also teaching the importance of 911 incase of an emergency and Stop Drop and Roll. We also take part in the fire poster and essay contest with our local schools. Last year was the first time Cranston Heights had an essay go on to the county level judging and we hope to improve upon it this year.
We also attend community events and neighborhood association meetings and talk and show many different presentations covering many topics about fire safety. Our doors are always open to the public but two special days a year one in the Spring and the Fall we have other local fire companies join us for our Open House where the public will get a chance to view our equipment and other companies and participate and view many events including fire prevention and car accident extrication demonstrations.
Cranston Heights is trying to improve everyday on our Fire Prevention Program if you would have any questions, comments or concerns please contact us using the form below or at:
Attention: Fire Prevention
Cranston Heights Fire Company
3306 Kirkwood Highway
Wilmington DE, 19808
The history of National Fire Prevention Week has it roots in the Great Chicago Fire, which occurred on October 8, 1871. This tragic conflagration killed some 300 people, left 100,000 homeless and destroyed more than 17,000 structures. Intending to observe the fire's anniversary with a more serious commemoration, the Fire Marshals Association of North America (FMANA), the oldest membership section of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), decided that the 40th anniversary of the Great Chicago Fire should be observed not with festivities, but in a way that would keep the public informed about the importance of fire prevention. When President Calvin Coolidge proclaimed the first National Fire Prevention Week, October 4 - 10 1925, he noted that in the previous year some 15,000 lives were lost to fire in the United States.
Delaware Fire Companies including Cranston Heights, take part in giving out smoke detectors and batteries twice a year. This coincides with the changing of the clocks with in your home. It also provides the reminder of when you change your clock, change your batteries.
The program began in 2001 after the result of 16 Delawareans deaths due to not having working smoke detectors within their home. Within your house hold on every floor including the basement should be equipped with smoke detectors because they save lives. This also includes inside of bedrooms and hallways. Finally test them at least once a month if not more and change the batteries two times a year. If you ever need smoke detectors, batteries or someone to install them visit your local fire company and we would be happy to assist you with providing theses life saving devices for FREE of cost.
Along with smoke detectors within your house your family should have an EDITH (Exit Drills in the Home) plan. This means to have at least two different ways to exit your home incase of a fire. It lets your prepare for the worst since most residential house hold fires occur in the middle of the night. To go with the EDITH plan, you should have a meeting place with your family. A meeting place is where all your family members would go in case of your house on fire. This makes our job much easier by having a confirmation that all of the occupants of the home are safe and outside. Once you have designated a meeting place practice with your family so you will always be prepared. By practicing this life saving event you can save not only your life but the lives of the ones you love.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless and toxic gas, and is often referred to as the "silent killer". When inhaled, it inhibits the blood's capacity to transport oxygen throughout the body. It can poison the body quickly in high concentrations, or slowly over long periods of time. "Each year, CO poisoning associated with using fuel-burning appliances kills about 200 people," said CPSC Chairman Ann Brown.
Exposure to carbon monoxide (CO) can cause flue-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness, burning eyes, confusion, drowsiness and even loss of consciousness. In severe cases, CO poisoning can cause brain damage and death. The elderly, children and people with heart or respiratory conditions may be particularly sensitive to CO.
Carbon monoxide is a by-product of incomplete combustion of fuel such as natural gas, propane, heating oil, kerosene, coal, charcoal, gasoline or wood. This incomplete combustion can occur in any device that depends on burning for energy or heat, such as furnaces, room heaters, fire places, hot water heaters, stoves or grills and any gas-powered vehicle or engine. Automobiles left running in attached garages, gas barbecues operated inside the house, grills or kerosene heaters that are not properly vented, or chimneys or vents that are dirty or plugged may create unsafe levels of CO.
Make sure appliances are installed according to manufacturer's instructions and local building codes. Most appliances should be installed by professionals. Have the heating system (including chimneys and vents) inspected and serviced annually. The inspector should also check chimneys and flues for blockages, corrosion, partial and complete disconnections, and loose connections. Install a CO detector/alarm that meets the requirements of the current UL standard 2034 or the requirements of the IAS 6-96 standard. A carbon monoxide detector/alarm can provide added protection, but is no substitute for proper use and upkeep of appliances that can produce CO. Install a CO detector/alarm in the hallway near every separate sleeping area of the home. Make sure the detector cannot be covered up by furniture or draperies. Never burn charcoal inside a home, garage, vehicle, or tent. Never use portable fuel-burning camping equipment inside a home, garage, vehicle, or tent. Never leave a car running in an attached garage, even with the garage door open. Never service fuel-burning appliances without proper knowledge, skills, and tools. Always refer to the owner's manual when performing minor adjustments or servicing fuel-burning appliances. Never use gas appliances such as ranges, ovens, or clothes dryers for heating your home. Never operate un-vented fuel-burning appliances in any room with closed doors or windows or in any room where people are sleeping. Do not use gasoline-powered tools and engines indoors.
Never ignore an alarming CO detector/alarm. If the detector/alarm sounds: Operate the reset button. Call 911. Immediately move to fresh air -- outdoors or by an open door/window.